EOTO Class Presentations // Blog 7

   Facebook

 Facebook to let employees work remotely through the end of 2020 - The Verge

    My classmates delivered some very good presentations but one that stood out to me the most was a presentation on Facebook. Facebook was very popular when I was in middle school and I feel like it gets more popular as I get older and become more mature. My parents use facebook and I only got an account my senior year of high school to join incoming freshman groups to try and meet friends for the fall semester. Since then I have kept my account pretty up to date, friending distant family members and friends of my parents that I didn't follow on my other social media platforms. To be honest, I only check my facebook when I'm really bored and have nothing else to look at, so about 3 times a week. 

    In class the girl who presented the Facebook app mentioned how the app was created for college students, which I find ironic since I only created an account to meet people in college. It actually started as a dating app where students could meet potential partners. However, when the college found out they tried to ban the app because of its dating features. The students fought back and more colleges found out about it. Since then it has evolved more and more becoming an app where you can share photos and videos, check in different places, even sell used goods on Marketplace. 

    Facebook groups are very popular in my hometown of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. The community has a facebook called "Camp Hill Won't You Be My Neighbor" after the tv show Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood. People will post questions such as "What are all the sirens for on Market Street?" and people will answer. Many people go to the neighbor page for recommendations such as restaurants or places to get their hair done. The group defiantly is helpful to a lot of older people looking for answers and easy ways to connect themselves with the community. The teenagers don't love the neighbor page because a lot of parents will post about kids throwing parties or running stop signs and get in trouble by their parents seeing it. 

    Kids my age defiantly don't use facebook as much as our parents and older generations do. I find the app harder to use than Instagram or Twitter because of how much you can do on it. I feel like parents utilize facebook more because it combines all the features of instagram, twitter and snapchat into one app. They can connect with all of their friends in one place rather from switching around from app to app. Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends, find new places to travel, share recommendations and sell goods to people in your neighborhood. As I get older I find myself using facebook more and more for specific tasks and to join certain groups. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Exam Blog // My Social Media Presence

Privacy // Blog 9

8 values of Free Expression // Key Post